Nothing compares to the smell or look of freshly cut grass in your yard. For decades, freshly mowed grass has been something homeowners pride themselves on. The regular mowing of your lawn oxygenates the air you breathe and also helps prevent infestation by ticks and chiggers. Still, achieving a green, well-cut lawn can often be easier said than done.
Here are a few tips to help you with your next mowing:
- Follow the 1/3 rule—Some grasses are not meant to be cut short. If you are unsure of how short to cut your grass, it is safe to never cut more than a 1/3 of the grass blade length when mowing. If you are repeatedly cutting your lawn too close, your grass will undergo a lot of stress and turn brown, which makes grass even more vulnerable to disease and pests!
- Wait for dry grass—Always be sure to mow when the grass blades are dry.
- Change the pattern each time you mow—Every time you cut your grass, there is a grain in the blade that leans in the direction you are mowing. Changing the pattern of direction can give more attractive, upright growth to your grass.
- Leave clippings on your lawn—The clippings allow nutrients and nitrogen to go back into the soil, feeding your lawn. If the clippings are forming clumps or the grass is longer, you can remove them.
- For shaded areas of your lawn, keep the grass higher—By not mowing the grass as short here, the grass will not have to compete as much with tree roots for nutrients and water.
- Hot, dry weather—It is best not to mow your lawn as often in this climate. Also, keep cool season grasses at a taller height.
- Check your mower blades regularly—It is important that your mower blades are sharp and balanced. This can go a long way in keeping pests at bay. Also, the your grass will be able to heal faster in between mowing!
While mowing the lawn is something that most people can do without any training, always make sure to read your lawn mower instructions manual and follow the safety precautions for operating your lawn mower safely. Keeping this tips in mind will help you get the most out of your lawn mowing efforts, giving you a yard that will be the envy of your neighbords.